May Contain: Egg, Fish, Gluten, Milk, Mustard, Peanuts, Sesame, Shellfish, Sulphites, and Tree Nuts.
Tip: This recipe is our play on the traditional Palak Paneer which typically uses paneer cheese. We’ve emulated the same flavours but used a softer medium tofu to keep this dish vegan!
- Rinse and drain jasmine rice in a fine mesh sieve.
- Add jasmine rice, cumin seeds and coconut oil to a small pot with 1 1/2 cups salted water and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cover with a lid.
- Cook for 15–18 minutes or until grains are tender.
- Fluff with a fork.
- Bring 1 1/2 litres of salted water to a boil in a second pot.
- Wash spinach.
- Once boiling, add spinach and cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute until leaves are bright green and tender. Do not overcook.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the spinach cooking water.
- Drain spinach and rinse with cold water until cool enough to handle. Squeeze out any remaining liquid.
- Wash cilantro and chili.
- Pick and chop cilantro leaves.
- Finely mince chili. Rinse hands with warm soapy water immediately.
- Cut lemon in half.
- Roughly chop cooked spinach.
- Drain and pat dry tofu.
- Cut tofu into 3/4 inch cubes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together cornstarch and reserved spinach water.
- Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a pot over medium.
- Once hot, add onion and cook for 2–3 minutes until onion is soft.
- Add garlic, ginger, spice blend, and chili to taste. Cook for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Pour in coconut milk, cornstarch mixture, and lemon juice to taste.
- Bring heat to medium-high for 3–4 minutes or until sauce is bubbling and glossy.
- Stir in spinach, peas and half of the cilantro, and mix well.
- Add tofu and stir gently.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Divide rice into serving bowls.
- Divide curry on top of rice.
- Sprinkle crispy onions on top of everything.
- Garnish to taste with remaining cilantro and lemon juice.
AS SEEN ON