Meaty portobello mushrooms stuffed with a tasty filling of fire-roasted tomatoes, our savory blend of spices, and a touch of red wine, then topped with creamy goat cheese. Buttery basmati rice and garlicky spinach round out the plate making this incredibly delicious meal completely vegetarian and gluten-free.
May Contain: Barley, Egg, Mustard, Oats, Peanuts, Rye, Seafood, Sesame, Soy, Tree Nuts, Triticale, and Wheat.
- Turn oven on to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Wash portobellos and remove stems and gills from the underside with a spoon.
- Brush each portobello with 1/2 tbsp. olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Put baking sheet in oven and set a timer for 15 minutes.
- Rinse basmati rice with cold running water in a fine mesh sieve.
- Add rice to a small pot with 1 ¼ cups salted water and 1 tbsp. butter.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to low and cover with a lid. Cook for 12-15 minutes or until grains are tender.
- Turn burner off and keep warm.
- Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high.
- Add onions, stir and cook for about 1-2 minutes, or until beginning to colour.
- Add spice blend and half of the garlic, and stir until fragrant.
- Add red cooking wine, tomatoes, and red pepper flakes to taste.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring occasionally until most of the liquid evaporates and sauce thickens.
Finish Sauce + Fill Portobellos
- While sauce is simmering, wash, pick and chop basil leaves.
- Once sauce thickens to your liking, stir in basil leaves.
- Remove mushrooms from oven and drain any liquid in mushroom caps.
- Spoon tomato sauce into mushroom caps and top with goat cheese.
- Put baking sheet back in oven. Cook for 10 more minutes or until mushrooms are tender.
- Heat 1 tbsp. butter in a medium skillet over medium.
- Add remaining garlic and stir.
- Add spinach and cook until bright green and wilted.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and remove from heat.
- Divide rice onto plates with spinach.
- Place stuffed mushrooms next to rice.