Proven to have anti-microbial and immune-boosting properties, mushrooms really are magic! You’ll love the three different kinds of mushrooms in this meal.
May Contain: Fish, Gluten, Milk, Mustard, Peanuts, Shellfish, and Tree Nuts.
- Wash bok choy and green onion.
- Trim ends from bok choy and slice leaves crosswise into 1/4 inch ribbons.
- Thinly slice green onion.
- Remove stems from shiitake mushrooms. Slice shiitake into 1/4 inch pieces.
- Slice off the stems of enoki and king oyster mushrooms.
- Break apart enoki mushrooms into clusters.
- Thinly slice king oyster mushrooms lengthwise.
- Tear nori into small pieces.
- Add rice cakes to a medium bowl and cover with cold water.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs until smooth.
Quick Pickle Vegetables
- Heat a large pot over medium.
- Whisk in rice vinegar, sugar, half of both the sesame seeds and garlic.
- Season to taste with salt and red pepper flakes.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, turn off the heat and add green onions and bok choy.
- Stir vegetables into pickling liquid, then transfer pot contents to a small bowl.
- Add half of the sesame oil and 1 tbsp. oil to the same pot over medium-high heat.
- Add shiitake, enoki and king oyster mushrooms and cook for 2–3 minutes or until becoming tender and golden.
- Add remaining garlic and 1/4 of the soy sauce. Cook for 1 minute.
- Remove mushrooms from the pot and set aside on a plate.
- Add 5 cups water to the pot, crumble in vegetable stock cubes and add remaining soy sauce.
- Turn to high heat and bring broth to a boil.
- Drain rice cakes and add to the pot.
- Cook for 1 minute, until rice cakes are soft.
- Turn off heat and stir broth so it's moving in a gentle spiral, then pour in egg mixture.
- Cook 30 seconds, until egg forms soft ribbons.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Drain liquid from pickled vegetables.
- Ladle broth and rice cakes between serving bowls.
- Top with mushrooms, pickled bok choy, nori, remaining sesame seeds, and remaining red pepper flakes to taste.