A fiesta of flavours, these Mexican street-style corn masa pancakes are fried until golden, then heaped with fresh ingredients over a generous layer of seasoned, pan-fried beef. Avocado and cotija cheese add creaminess, with crunchy shredded cabbage and a zesty pico de gallo bring a refreshing spirit to every bite.
May Contain: Egg, Mustard, Peanuts, Sesame, Tree Nuts, Wheat, and Gluten.
Tip: Don't panic if the dough in Step 1 has a sloppy texture after mixing with water. Let it stand 5 minutes to allow the masa harina granules to fully hydrate.
Prepare Huaraches Dough
- Heat oven to 300°F.
- Add masa harina into a medium bowl and season with 1/4 tsp. salt.
- Whisk 1 cup water into masa harina until smooth.
- Let stand for 5 minutes to become a dough.
- Drain sliced beef and pat dry with paper towel.
- Add beef to a second medium mixing bowl with spice blend, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Mix well with clean hands.
- Wash hands with hot soapy water.
- Wash tomato, lime, and cilantro.
- Dice tomato into 1/4 pieces.
- Pick and chop cilantro leaves.
- Zest and cut lime in half.
- Cut avocado in half, remove pit and dice into 1/2 inch pieces.
Prepare Pico De Gallo
- In a small bowl, mix tomatoes, onion, garlic, both lime zest and juice to taste and half of the cilantro.
- Season with the following to taste: red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium.
- Divide dough into 2 firm balls.
- Press down one ball at a time into an oval shape in your hands, until about 4 by 6 inches and 1/2 inches thick.
- Gently place flattened dough in oil. Repeat with second ball.
- Cook flattened dough for 3-4 minutes each side, until golden and crispy on both sides.
- Transfer huaraches to a plate and keep warm in oven.
- Add beef to same skillet.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, breaking apart with a wooden spoon until golden and cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Place one huarache on each plate and top with beef.
- Top with cabbage, lime juice to taste, pico de gallo, avocado, and crumbled cotija cheese.
- Garnish with remaining cilantro.