May Contain: Fish, Gluten, Milk, Mustard, Peanuts, Sesame, Shellfish, Sulphites, and Tree Nuts.
- Rinse and drain rice in a fine mesh sieve.
- Add rice to a small pot with 1 1/2 cups salted water.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 11–13 minutes, or until grains are tender.
- Fluff rice with a fork and set aside with a slightly vented lid.
- Meanwhile, wash lime, cilantro, jalapeno, and bell pepper.
- Zest and cut lime in half.
- Pick and chop cilantro leaves.
- Drain and rinse black beans in a fine mesh sieve.
- Cut avocado in half, remove pit, and scoop out flesh.
- Cut avocado into 1/4 inch slices.
- Cut jalapeno and bell pepper in half, remove stem and seeds, and finely chop.
- Wash hands with hot soapy water.
Cook Vegetables + Beans
- Heat 2 tbsp. oil in a large saucepan over medium.
- Once hot, add onion and bell pepper.
- Cook for 5–7 minutes or until soft.
- Add garlic and the following to taste: jalapeno and red pepper flakes.
- Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add black beans, lime zest, 1⁄2 cup water, half of the soy aminos, half of the lime juice, and salt to taste.
- Cook for 6–7 minutes, stirring often, until slightly thickened.
- Stir in cooked rice.
- Season to taste with remaining soy aminos if desired.
- Mix in half of the cilantro.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp. oil in a large skillet over medium-high.
- Peel plantain and slice at an angle into 1/2 inch ovals.
- Once oil is hot, add plantain. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 3–4 minutes, flipping once, until golden.
- Remove plantain from skillet and drain on paper towel.
- Add 1 tbsp. oil to same large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Crack eggs into skillet.
- When whites begin to set, reduce heat to low.
- Cook for 3–4 minutes until whites are cooked for a sunny-side-up egg, or cook to your preference.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Plate + Serve
- Spoon rice and beans onto large plates.
- Top with fried plantains, sliced avocado, and fried eggs.
- Sprinkle remaining cilantro to taste over everything.
- Serve with lime wedges.
AS SEEN ON