May Contain: Barley, Egg, Mustard, Oats, Peanuts, Rye, Seafood, Sesame, Tree Nuts, and Triticale.
Tip: If you don’t have an ovenproof skillet, transfer everything to a baking dish in Step 5 before placing in oven. Leave some butter on the counter ahead of time, or use the microwave to soften butter for a few seconds. You'll need the softened butter in Step 3.
- Turn oven to 400°F.
- Bring 2 1/2 litres salted water to a boil in a large pot.
- Add penne and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until al dente.
- Drain pasta in a fine mesh sieve.
Prepare Chorizo Sauce
- Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet over high.
- Drain chorizo and pat dry with paper towel.
- Add onions and chorizo to skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes, breaking apart chorizo with a wooden spoon until onions are tender and chorizo is cooked.
- Stir in spice blend and half of the garlic into skillet. Cook for 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add red cooking wine, tomato sauce, and ½ cup water. Bring to a simmer.
- Season with red pepper flakes to taste.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 8-10 minutes.
Prepare Ingredients + Focaccia
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- In a small bowl, mix 3 tbsp. softened butter with remaining garlic and black pepper to taste.
- Separate focaccia buns and spread garlic butter evenly onto focaccia.
- Place buns on baking sheet. Place baking sheet in oven and set a timer for 8 minutes.
- Bake until crispy and golden.
Finish Chorizo Sauce
- Meanwhile, wash basil and spinach.
- Pick and chop basil leaves.
- Roughly chop spinach.
- Stir cream cheese, basil, and spinach into chorizo sauce until cheese melts and spinach is bright green and tender.
Assemble + Broil Cheese
- Add pasta to chorizo sauce and stir evenly.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese evenly on top of sauce.
- Remove garlic bread from oven and set aside.
- Turn broiler on to 500°F. Put ovenproof skillet in oven. Cook until cheese is bubbling and golden.
- Watch pasta closely so it doesn’t burn.
- Divide chorizo pasta into serving bowls with a side of garlic bread.