May Contain: Barley, Egg, Mustard, Oats, Peanuts, Rye, Seafood, Sesame, Soy, Sulphites, Tree Nuts, and Triticale.
Tip: Don’t forget to reserve your pasta water in Step 1 before draining the pasta. In Step 4, you will only use 2 cups of the diced tomatoes. You can freeze the rest for future use.
- Bring 2 1/2 litres salted water to a boil in a large pot.
- Add pasta to pot. Cook for 6–8 minutes or until al dente.
- Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water, and drain pasta in a fine mesh sieve.
- Meanwhile, wash bell pepper, basil, and lemon.
- Cut bell pepper in half, remove stem and seeds, and dice into 1/2 inch pieces.
- Zest and cut lemon in half.
- Measure 2 cups of the diced tomatoes and set aside for Step 4.
- Heat 1 tbsp. oil in a large ovenproof saucepan over medium-high.
- Drain Italian ground turkey and pat dry with paper towel. Once oil is hot, add turkey to saucepan.
- Cook undisturbed for 1–2 minutes, or until starting to brown. Break turkey up with a wooden spoon. Cook for an additional 3–4 minutes, or until no longer pink.
- Add 1 tbsp. of the garlic, tomato paste, and Italian seasoning to skillet. Cook 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Transfer sausage mixture to plate and set aside for Step 4.
Cook Peppers + Onions
- Add 1 tbsp. oil to saucepan and return to medium-high heat.
- Add bell pepper and onion to saucepan. Cook for 4–5 minutes, stirring often, until soft and tender.
- Stir in turkey sausage mixture, diced tomatoes, and lemon juice to taste. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook for 4–6 minutes, until sauce reduces and thickens slightly.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Turn broiler on to high.
- Stir cooked pasta and 1/4 cup of the pasta water into saucepan. Cook for 2–3 minutes, adding more pasta water by the tablespoon if necessary until sauce is creamy.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl combine panko breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, remaining garlic and lemon zest to taste.
- Sprinkle cheese mixture evenly on top of pasta. Place ovenproof saucepan in oven. Cook for 2–3 minutes, or until cheese mixture is golden.
Plate + Serve
- Divide pasta onto large plates.
- Thinly slice basil leaves and cut remaining lemon into wedges.
- Garnish pasta with basil and black pepper to taste. Serve with lemon wedges.