May Contain: Fish, Mustard, Peanuts, Sesame, Shellfish, Soy, other Tree Nuts, and other sources of Gluten.
Tip 1: Leave some butter on the counter ahead of time, or use the microwave to soften butter for a few seconds for Step 3.
Tip 2: If you don't have an ovenproof skillet, in Step 4, transfer everything to a baking dish before cracking eggs.
Begin Tomato Sauce
- Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high.
- Once hot, add sliced onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until soft and tender.
- Add spice blend, tomato paste and half of the garlic to skillet.
- Cook for 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add fire-roasted tomatoes and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook for 15 minutes, or until slightly reduced.
- Meanwhile, wash kale and basil.
- Trim stems and roughly chop kale leaves. Discard stems.
- Pick basil leaves and set aside for Step 5.
- Roughly chop walnuts.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas in a fine mesh sieve.
- Add chickpeas to skillet with tomatoes immediately.
Prepare Garlic Toast
- Turn broiler on to 500°F with a rack in the center.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tbsp. softened butter with remaining garlic.
- Spread garlic butter onto sourdough slices.
Finish Tomato Sauce
- After simmering for 15 minutes in Step 1, stir kale into tomato sauce.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until tender and bright green.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Make 4 wells in tomato sauce and crack eggs into wells.
- Sprinkle Asiago cheese and chopped walnuts over everything.
- Place ovenproof skillet and sourdough garlic bread in oven on the center rack.
- Broil 2-3 minutes until egg yolks are runny but whites are set, and bread is toasted and crispy.
- Watch oven closely while broiling to prevent burning.
Plate + Serve
- Remove skillet from oven and spoon eggs and tomato sauce into bowls.
- Thinly slice basil leaves and sprinkle over eggs.
- Serve with a side of garlic bread.
As Featured In