May Contain: Mustard, Peanuts, Seafood, Sesame, Soy, and Sulphites.
Tip: Leave some butter on the counter ahead of time, or use the microwave to soften butter for a few seconds for Step 3. In Step 4, keep an eye on the bread and cheese while it's under the broiler to prevent burning. If you don't have an ovenproof skillet, in Step 4, transfer everything to a baking dish before cracking eggs. For 4 servings, use a separate skillet to cook the extra 4 eggs in Step 4.
Begin Tomato Sauce
- Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high.
- Once hot, add sliced onion and cook for 2-3 minutes, or until soft and tender.
- Add spice blend, tomato paste and half of the garlic to skillet.
- Cook for 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add fire-roasted tomatoes and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Simmer for 15 minutes, or until slightly reduced.
- Meanwhile, wash kale and basil.
- Trim 2 inches off kale stems and discard.
- Roughly chop kale leaves.
- Pick basil leaves and set aside for Step 5.
- Roughly chop walnuts.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas in a fine mesh sieve.
- Add chickpeas to skillet with tomatoes immediately.
Prepare Garlic Toast
- Turn broiler on to 500°F and place oven rack 8-10 inches below the top element.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tbsp. softened butter with remaining garlic.
- Spread garlic butter onto sourdough slices.
Finish Tomato Sauce
- After 15 minutes, stir kale into tomato sauce from Step 1.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until tender and bright green.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Make 4 wells in tomato sauce and crack eggs into wells.
- Sprinkle Asiago cheese and chopped walnuts over everything.
- Place skillet and sourdough garlic bread in oven.
- Broil until egg yolks are runny but whites are set, and bread is toasted and crispy.
- Watch oven closely while broiling to prevent burning.
Plate + Serve
- Remove skillet from oven and spoon eggs and tomato sauce into bowls.
- Thinly slice basil leaves and sprinkle over eggs.
- Serve with a slice of garlic bread.