May Contain: Egg, Gluten, Milk, Mustard, Peanuts, Sesame, Shellfish, Sulphites, and Tree Nuts.
- Rinse and drain basmati rice in a fine mesh sieve.
- Add rice to a small pot with 1 1/4 cups salted water, 1 tbsp. butter and cumin seeds.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cover with a lid.
- Cook for 12–15 minutes or until grains are tender.
Prepare Tamarind Glaze
- In a small bowl, mix together tamarind concentrate, maple syrup, chipotle pepper to taste, half of the garlic and a pinch of salt.
- Set aside for Step 5.
- Wash Chinese eggplant and cilantro.
- Trim ends off eggplant and cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Pick and chop cilantro leaves.
- Drain Arctic char and pat dry with paper towel.
- Season char with salt and pepper.
- Heat 2 tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high.
- Add eggplant and cook for 3–4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until becoming tender and golden.
- Stir in remaining garlic and season to taste with GF soy sauce.
- Reduce heat to low and cover with a lid. Cook for 5–7 minutes, or until eggplant is tender.
- Stir in cilantro.
Cook Arctic Char
- When rice from Step 1 is cooked, heat 1/2 tbsp. olive oil in a second skillet over high.
- Once hot, add char skin-side down and cook for 2–3 minutes.
- Turn char over and cook another 2 minutes until fish flakes.
- Turn heat off and add tamarind glaze to skillet.
- Swirl glaze around as it thickens and coats fish.
- Divide rice and eggplant onto plates.
- Place fish on top of rice and spoon any remaining glaze on top.